The health and safety of our communities is a top priority of United Way. We are doing our best to monitor this rapidly evolving situation. The following are steps we are taking to help those impacted as well as resources and opportunities to give and get help.
Below are specific resources that are available to the community.
· Coordinated Charities Food Bank, 109 Rocky Mount Road, Athens, is currently a drive-thru service from 9:30am—1:30pm Monday—Friday.
· Grace & Mercy Ministries, 714 Walter St., Athens, is offering carryout meals from noon-1:00pm on Mondays and Fridays. You must come to the door to receive your meal.
· Athens-McMinn Family YMCA is serving meals to kids (18 & under with kids present) from 4pm-6pm at the YMCA at the following locations:
- Athens-McMinn Family YMCA, 205 Knoxville Avenue, Athens (Drive-Thru from front door of YMCA)
- Ridgetop Apartments, 2009 Layman Road, Athens, (Drive-Thru or Carry Out from YMCA vehicle)
- Lee Manor Apartments, 1800 Lee Drive, Athens, (Drive-Thru or Carry Out from YMCA vehicle)
- Cherokee Point Mobile Home Community, 2538 Sullins Road, Athens (Drive-Thru or Carry Out from YMCA vehicle)
- Mobile Home Community located at 270 County Road 213, Athens (Drive-Thru or Carry Out from YMCA vehicle
· Better Living Center, 407 New Englewood Road, Athens, will be distributing food at the loading dock from 10am-4pm on Tuesdays.
- Meals on Wheels are continuing to be delivered with meals being left on the door steps excluding person-to-person interaction.
- The McMinn Senior Center will remain closed during the month of May. They will continue to deliver Meals on Wheels and provide food and supplies with a drive-thru service. Please call 745-6830 for more information.
-The Etowah Senior Center will remain closed during the month of May. They will be distributing boxes of frozen meals for Seniors 60+. Please call 781-7632 to schedule an appointment. The next distribution is May 30th.
- For Senior shut-ins or self-quarantined that need assistance, please contact Aging Information & Assistance Toll Free Number at 1-866-836-6678. They are able to purchase groceries and deliver if needed.
- Love Thy Neighbor food pantry at TWU is serving food boxes on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2pm-4pm. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 746-5273 for more information and to schedule an appointment.
- Wesley Memorial UMC has a food bank open for eligible participants who are within the Etowah Utility District. To see if you qualify, call 423-507-7090. 923 Ohio Ave., Etowah, TN
- St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 123 S. Jackson St., Athens, is distributing bags of groceries on Wednesdays from 11:00am - 1:00pm.
- Love, Period, St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 123 S. Jackson St., Athens is distributing personal hygiene products for women and girls on Mondays from 10:00am - 2:00pm and Wednesdays from 11:00am - 1:00pm.
- Meigs Ministries, 18364 TN-58, Decatur, is open for those who need food assistance Monday - Friday, 9am-3pm and Saturdays, 9am-1pm, 423-334-1071
- The Boys & Girls Club - Meigs Unit, 17699 Highway 58, Decatur, is providing snack meals for children 18 yrs and under Monday - Friday from 4:30pm - 6:00pm. Children must be present.
- The Athens City Schools Kids Connection Supper Meal Pick Up: Mondays and Thursdays 4:30pm-6:30pm June 1st - July 23rd
rent / utility / financial assistance
· Coordinated Charities is providing all financial assistance by phone only. Please call 745-9625.
- Financial assistance is available through TANF to families that lost employment due to COVID-19. To learn more and to apply click here.
- SETHRA is offering financial assistance with utilities. Contact SETHRA at 745-8095 between 12noon - 4:30pm.
- SETHRA is now accepting online applications for Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). To apply online, visit https://thosolutions.com/tnonlineapplication or visit www.sethra.us to download an application. For more information call 745-8905.
· The Good Faith Clinic will hold clinics May 12th and May 26th. The following are new hours and guidelines:
- 2:30pm-3:30pm: Refills only (drive through) Stay in car and bring a list of needed refills.
- 3:30pm: Sign-ins under the tent for physician visits. Priority will be new patients, acute illness/new medical issue, uncontrolled blood pressure or diabetic issues. If time allows patients with chronic conditions that require follow up will be seen.
- Patients should have face covering and family members must remain in their car. Church facilities will not be used. Patients will go from vehicle to clinic.
- There will be NO screening or treating patients with Covid-19. These concerns should be addressed through the Health Department or ER.
- Community residents can call FamilyWize for free customer support to help them coordinate prescription medication delivery from participating pharmacies. Call the FamilyWize toll free number at 800-222-2818.
- TSPN has a list of resources which are offering telehealth mental services. Click here for the resource guide.
- Athens-mcminn family ymca is offering free emergency childcare for essential workers with children ages 5-13 years old. To register your child, call the YMCA at 745-4904.
- If you need immediate help, please call 211. Your call will be answered by a trained specialist.
- Download our COMMUNITY RESOURCE GUIDE here.
- Follow the CDC guidelines at www.cdc.gov about COVID-19 prevention and symptoms.
- Legal Aid of Tennessee is taking online applications or by calling the closest LAET office. Click here to complete an online application.
- Comcast is offering qualifying students and parents, who are eligible, 60 days of free internet through Comcast Internet Essentials.
- "Care Through Conversation" is for older adults (60+). For more information visit https://www.tn.gov/aging/our-programs/care-through-conversation.html.
- TN Department of Labor & Workforce Development: For the assigned unemployment weekly certification days, please click here.
- Free information for cancer patients and their families regarding Covid-19 please click here.
We have started a United Way of McMinn & Meigs Counties Response & Recovery Fund. These funds will go to local agencies to help meet the needs and recovery for those who are impacted by COVID-19. These needs include food, rent, utility assistance and other necessities. You can text HOPE2020 to 313131 or CLICK HERE to give.
- If you would like to volunteer or donate supplies, please leave us a message with your name and number at 423-745-9606, email email@example.com or CLICK HERE to register online. We anticipate the need for volunteers in the coming weeks. Our volunteer opportunities are coordinated with community safety and social distancing regulations in mind.